Are Newsletters Still Relevant?
Do a search for, “are newsletters still relevant?” and you’ll see pages of results mostly affirming that newsletters do fill a communication need. We believe regular newsletters from chambers to their members plays a vital role in member recruitment and retention. From the blog She Owns It, Christine Gallagher delivers three reasons why newsletters (or e-zines as she calls them) still matter from her point of view.
1) Keeps you top of mind: As much as we would like to think that our audience are always thinking of us (wouldn’t THAT be nice?), it’s unfortunately not the case. Just as a company wouldn’t run a TV commercial just once, repetition is necessary to remind people of you, your offerings and your expertise.
2) Intimacy: An e-zine gives you a great opportunity to create a feeling of intimacy between yourself and your readers by sharing a bit about what is going on with you outside of your business (or chamber). Often people do this in a section at the beginning of their e-zine under a heading such as “A Note From” or something similar.
3) Expert status: The more consistently you share information, tips and articles on the subject or niche you are most knowledgeable in, the more credibility you gain in the eyes of your readers.
From a member management point of view, we could add two more good reasons…
4) Cost effective: They’re easy and effective to create in ChamberMaster, giving you greater reach at a very low cost. It’s a marketing tool anyone on your staff can use to get in front of your chamber prospects and your current members to help remind them about all that you do for your business community as well as remind them of upcoming events or other news that affects them.
5) You control your brand: With an emailed newsletter, you have complete control over the brand, the content, the delivery method and recipient list. You’re in an excellent position to correctly target your members with the right message. Filling your newsletter with member-related content will ensure higher open rates and become a communication they look forward to.
We issue newsletters generally once per month. They’re designed to give you a heads-up on new software updates and more of a window into MicroNet and some of the key staff here. We’ve heard you’ve been enjoying the series on our customer support representatives. They’re a great, dedicated group and we hope you know us a little more “intimately” as a result of our newsletter.